The following free agreement or contract sets forth the relationship between a Lawyer and his / her clients. This agreement and contract is being provided for information and research purposes only, however it is a valid legal contract and agreement. Always consult an Attorney or Lawyer. This Agreement can apply in most states including California, New York, Florida, Nevada and others. Help improve this agreement by leaving a comment.
This ATTORNEY-CLIENT FEE CONTRACT ("Contract") is entered into by and between the undersigned, ____________________ ("Client"), and ____________________ ("Attorney").
1. CONDITIONS. This Contract will not take effect, and Attorney will have no obligation to provide legal services, until Client returns a signed copy of this Contract and pays the deposit called for under paragraph 3.
2. SCOPE AND DUTIES. Client hires Attorney to provide legal services in connection with entertainment counseling, negotiation and contracts. Attorney shall provide those legal services reasonably required to represent Client and shall take reasonable steps to keep Client informed of progress and to respond to Client's inquiries. Attorney's services will not include litigation of any kind, whether in court, in administrative hearings or before government agencies or judicial arbitration. Client shall be truthful with Attorney, cooperate with Attorney, keep Attorney informed of developments, abide by this Contract, pay Attorney's bills on time and keep Attorney advised of Client's address, telephone number and whereabouts.
3. DEPOSIT. Client will deposit ____________________ by ____________________ . The sum will be deposited in a trust account, to be used to pay costs and expenses and fees for legal services. Client hereby authorizes Attorney to withdraw sums from the trust account to pay the costs and/or fees Client incurs. Any unused deposit at the conclusion of Attorney's services will be refunded.
4. LEGAL FEES. Client agrees to pay for legal services at the following rates: Attorney: ____________________ /hour; law clerks/paralegal ____________________ /hour; secretarial ____________________ /hour. Attorney charges in minimum units of ten minutes. Attorney's billable time includes phone conferences with client and with third parties on client's behalf. Other arrangements:
5. COSTS AND EXPENSES. In addition to paying legal fees, Client shall reimburse Attorney for all reasonable expenses incurred by Attorney, including long distance telephone calls, messenger fees, postage, photocopying ($.25 per page), faxes ($.50 cents per page local, $1.00 per page long distance, $2.00 per page international), parking, and mileage at 29 cents per mile. Attorney shall obtain Client's consent before incurring any cost in excess of $200.
6. STATEMENTS. Attorney shall send Client periodic statements for fees and costs incurred. Client shall pay Attorney's statements within 10 days after each statement's date. Client may request a statement at intervals of no less than 30 days. Upon Client's request Attorney will provide a statement within 10 days. Statements unpaid for more than 30 days are subject to a late charge at the legal rate of interest.
7. DISCHARGE AND WITHDRAWAL. Client may discharge Attorney at any time. Attorney may withdraw with Client's consent or for good cause. Good cause includes Client's breach of this Contract, Client's refusal to cooperate with Attorney or to follow Attorney's advice on a material matter or any other fact or circumstance that would render Attorney's continuing representation unlawful or unethical. Attorney has the right to discontinue work if Client has failed to pay attorney in accordance with this agreement.
8. CONCLUSION OF SERVICES. When Attorney's services conclude, all unpaid charges shall become immediately due and payable. After Attorney's services conclude, Attorney will, upon Client's request, deliver Client's file to Client, along with any Client funds or property in Attorney's possession. Attorney shall have no obligation to retain Client's files beyond one year after services conclude.
9. LIEN. Client hereby grants Attorney a lien on any and all monies due client, claims or causes of action that are the subject of Attorney's representation under this Contract. Attorney's lien will be for any sums due and owing to Attorney at the conclusion of Attorney's services. The lien will attach to any recovery Client may obtain, whether by arbitration award, judgment, settlement or otherwise. Said recovery shall be deposited in Attorney's Trust Fund account whereupon attorney shall deduct any sums due attorney and pay the balance to Client.
10. CONFLICT OF INTEREST: Whenever an attorney represents two or more people at the same time with regard to the same matter, the Attorney is obligated to advise those people that there is a potential for conflict of interest. Such a conflict might arise, for instance, if Attorney negotiates a deal for a filmmaker with a co-producer or distributor who is also a client. Attorney has advised Client(s) of the following terms of the provisions of Section 3-310 of the California State Rules of Professional Conduct:
If a member has or had a relationship with another party interested in the representation, or has an interest in its subject matter, the member shall not accept or continue such representation without all affected clients' informed written consent.
A member shall not concurrently represent clients whose interests conflict, except with their informed written consent.
Attorney has advised Client(s) of the following provisions of California Evidence Code section 962 relating to the attorney-client privilege:
"Where two or more clients have retained or consulted a lawyer upon a matter of common interest, none of them, nor the successor in interest of any of them, may claim a privilege under this article as to a communication made in the course of that relationship when such communication is offered in a civil proceeding between one of such clients (or his successor in interest) and another of such clients (or his successor in interest)."
Notwithstanding such joint representation and any actual or potential conflict of interest, Client(s) hereby consents to Attorney's joint representation provided Attorney discloses same beforehand. Furthermore, Client(s) acknowledge and agree that at no time will Attorney's representation be construed, claimed or deemed to be a breach of a fiduciary relationship, a conflict of interest or a violation of any other obligation to Client(s). Client(s) agree that at no time shall Client(s) claim or contend that Attorney should be disqualified from representing any Client in connection with any matter, related or unrelated.
11. ARBITRATION: If any dispute arises between Client(s) and Attorney, the dispute shall be resolved by binding arbitration in ____________________ County in accordance with the rules of the State Bar of ____________________ , before a single arbitrator selected in accordance with those rules or the rules of any local Bar Association within ____________________ County which is operating under the auspices of the State Bar or, if none, in accordance with the arbitration laws of ____________________ . The arbitrator shall have the discretion to order that the cost of arbitration, including arbitrator's fees, or other costs, and reasonable attorneys' fees, shall be borne by the losing party.
12. DISCLAIMER OF GUARANTEE/INSURANCE. Nothing in this Contract and nothing in Attorney's statements to Client will be construed as a promise or guarantee about the outcome of Client's matter. Attorney makes no such promises or guarantees. Attorney's comments about the outcome of Client's matter are expressions of opinion only. Attorney maintains Errors & Omissions insurance.
13. EFFECTIVE DATE. This Contract will take effect when Client has performed the conditions stated in paragraph 1, but its effective date will be retroactive to the date Attorney first provided services. The date at the beginning of this Contract is for reference only. Even if this Contract does not take effect, Client will be obligated to pay Attorney the reasonable value of any services Attorney may have performed for Client.The provisions of this agreement concerning legal fees, conclusion of services, withdrawal, lien and arbitration shall survive the discharge or withdrawal of attorney. This contract has been entered into in the City of ____________________ , County of ____________________ .